NavMenu

Saturday, August 28, 2010

First C# Project - Sudoku

I finished studying the C# basics up to Collections and thought it was time to test what I've learned so far.  What better way to test myself than to build a project from scratch.  I love playing Sudoku and have an assortment of the magazine books.  I chose to build a project that did the following:

  1. User loads in a beginning board (just like the game books), as a starting point.
  2. Then the SolverEngine runs through a series algorithms to solve each row, column, quad, and then finally the entire board.
I'm using Visual Studio 2010 Express and building a WPF application.  I've completed about 80% of the project and have the requirements and specification laid out for the remaining algorithms.  Hopefully by midweek I should be done.

Screen Shots:
This is the starting board:

This is after it's run through the SolveEngine (that I've built so far):

I know that initially the project will be inefficient and ill-conceived.  But it's a starting point.  I plan to use it through my learning process, refining the code and performance as well as adding features as I progress.  It should be interesting to see how much I can shrink the code and how much performance improvement I can achieve.

And yes, I do know that there are example solver programs out there for me to borrow from; however, I didn't look at them and frankly I wanted to solve it on my own using the same logic that I use when solving each board.

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

Shout it

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

My photo
Welcome to my blog! This blog is about my journey to become a Master .NET coder and teacher.

Followers